Monday, January 2, 2012

Born to Run

I've recently finished reading Born To Run by Christopher McDougall which is a book about a thrilling, almost unheard of, ultra trail race. In addition to weaving a wonderful tale, the author also discusses how we humans are the world's greatest long distance runners, and how running is as natural a thing for humans to do as breathing.
I generally try to be cautiously skeptical when I read non-fiction, but I had to admit that the arguments the author made for humans being runners seemed to have merit, particularly McDougall's support for his belief that the modern running shoe has killed the modern man. So I decided I'd have to put the principles taught to the test. Several times throughout the book, McDougall (or particular sources quoted in the book) encourages the reader to try running a short distance with just their bare-feet and to see how it affects their gait. I decided to take up that challenge and stepped out for a jog.
In full disclosure, I'm not at my fittest. In fact, I sure the following conversation happens regularly:
"Hey, do you know Thom?"
"Uhhh, which one is Thom"
"You know, that really, really fat guy."
"Oh, Thom! Yeah, I know him. What about him?"
"Well...."
So for this run, my goal was to exercise for 30 minutes by jogging for two minutes, then walking for two minutes. For the last two-minute jog, I planned on going barefoot; which I did. The "shod" running portions were pure torture. Long before my cardio or quads gave out, my ankles started screaming (technically I think it was my fibularus longus muscle, which runs right behind my ankle). I had to will myself to keep moving, starting a countdown for each of the final thirty seconds. My recovery walks seemed all too short, and with each successive running session, the ankle burn would start earlier and earlier. Finally I made it to the barefoot two-minute jog, and all of that changed. My pace seemed a bit slower, and my ankle still had a dull ache, but the pain did not increase and I was able finish the two minutes without problem. I walked the last leg home with a stronger feeling that Mr. McDougall might be on to something.
I finished the book and mentioned to my wife that on the list of things I'd like for my birthday or Christmas, I'd like to add a pair of Vibram FiveFingers®. I really didn't think I'd get some, but my incredibly thoughtful in-laws surprised me with a pair for an early birthday present. They were a bit tricky to put on, but once I got them on, they really did feel like a second skin for my feet. I couldn't wait to try them out, and I finally made the time to do so on New Year's eve as a somewhat symbolic gesture to show that this would be a new era of increased health.
My initial plan was to try to make it around one block, about one half of a mile, without stopping. I figured if I could do that, then I'd be happy with these shoes. My wife started running almost a year ago, and for one of her track running sessions I decided to join her. I set out to try to knock out a mile and failed miserably, barely finishing one lap while jogging and walking, so I figured if I could do a half mile, then that would show significant improvement. I started my jog as a I planned, but when I hit the intersection where I had to turn left to head home, I felt so good that I turned right instead and just kept going. At each successive intersection I found myself faced with the choice to turn back or keep going, and I decided to keep going. As I ran, the strangest thing started happening; I found myself enjoying the moment! On the ultra-rare occasions when I did run, I'd kept my head down as I felt I had to visually connect with my feet to will them forward. This time as I ran, my back was straight and my head was up, and I was able to enjoy the stars and pay attention to my surroundings. I had my dog jogging next to me and we were having a great time just being out enjoying the exercise together. Unfortunately, the unplanned extension to my running session had an unforeseen consequence and as the dog and I were having a great time, the clock hit midnight the New Year celebratory fireworks started. My poor dog tried to be brave and keep up with me, but as we seemed to get closer to the source of the booming, she decided she had had enough and bolted. There was no way I was going to keep up with her, so I just turned around and tried to keep her in my sights. I eventually lost her and decided to just go home and see if she was there. The run back was mostly up hill and slightly more difficult, but I was thrilled to find that it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I just focused on keeping my back straight and pumping my legs and managed to be able to finally conquer a hill that had vexed me on all previous attempts. I made it home both chagrined to find my poor running buddy hadn't made it home, and exhilarated by the fact that I had just run further than anytime previous over the past five or six years. And to top it off, it was fun! I hurriedly jumped in the car to try to find my poor lost companion and while I was out, I marked the distance I had just gone: two miles on the dot. I couldn't believe it.
I had no luck finding my poor puppy and after searching the neighborhood in my car for an hour, I eventually decided that I'd better wait for her at home in case she showed up, which she eventually did at about 4:30 in the morning.
Needless to say, I'm even more strongly convinced that Chris McDougall might have stumbled upon pure gold. I'm trying to maintain a level of skepticism, but it is getting harder for me to do so. For all of my friends who are running and are maybe feeling frustrated with nagging injuries, or those who are struggling with low energy and/or excess body fat, I have to strongly encourage you to take a few moments to read Born to Run. It is a very fun read and is really an amazing story masterfully told with moments of scientific and medical back story thrown in. The book has a great pace, and I found it very hard to put down. Please, do yourselves a favor and read this book, then test the concepts found therein. I'm feeling more hopeful for my future after just one run, and I'd like to see it do the same for you.

As for me, you can bet that I'll be out with my FiveFingers® every chance that I get.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Tommy! Really enjoyed you blog. I was nosey and read all three. At this rate of bogging I may be able to keep up;) I really enjoyed you perspective and if I thought the 5 finger shoes came in super wide I may get some. The post to your dad was awesome. He is one of the best men I have ever met. Keep writing and Happy New Year!
    Elder Muy Largo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! So excited you enjoyed your run. I think Jason would like that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 2 miles way to go! I'd love to start running again. I may just read this book. Keep up the good work and blog your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock babe! You r my inspiration! I cant wait to run with u after RJ comes!

    ReplyDelete